You are here: Home
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Search

ruralroutecommunications.com

Welcome to Rural Route Communications

Le coeur de la ferme

E-mail Print PDF

Georgeville Press annonce la parution du livre 

Le coeur de la ferme :

l'histoire des granges et clôtures des Cantons de l'Est du Québec.

la ferme_au_coeur_la_tribune_samedi_16_juin_2012_forweb

   La Tribune (Sherbrooke) June 16, 2012

Le cœur de la ferme est le premier livre publié en français sur les granges historiques dans la province depuis 1963, et le tout premier livre publié à ce jour sur l’histoire agricole des Cantons de l’Est. Le texte provient de l’historienne des Cantons Louise Abbott et a été traduit de l’anglais par Stéphanie Pépin. Il comprend également 350 photographies prises par Louise Abbott et Niels Jensen, de même qu’une généreuse sélection d’images d’archives. Cette séduisante édition spéciale de 306 pages a été publiée par Georgeville Press, une maison d’édition sans but lucratif nouvellement établie à Georgeville (Québec).

Le cœur de la ferme est offert au coût de 60 $ (plus TPS). Si vous souhaitez vous procurer ce livre,  n’hésitez pas à communiquer avec Studio Georgeville au 819-843-9992 ou par courriel à This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it pour l'acheter.

Vous pouvez également vous procurer Le cœur de la ferme en personne à la Galerie d'Art Courtemanche, située au 820, rue Principale Ouest, Magog (Québec). Vous pouvez communiquer avec la Galerie d'Art Courtemanche au 819-843-2834 pour l’acheter par téléphone. Enfin, vous pouvez le commander par courriel studiorc1947@yahoo.ca . Pour connaître les heures d’ouverture de la Galerie d'Art Courtemanche, veuillez téléphoner ou visiter leur site à www.galeriecourtemanche.com .

 coverlecoeurdelafermeforwebsmaller

 

Lighting the Way

E-mail Print PDF

  d6w9419molsonlighthouse3

Molson Island Lighthouse, 1896 (Williams Family Collection)

 Excerpts of oral history interviews will form an important part of the upcoming book  Memphremagog: An Illustrated History. Here's the opening of a chapter titled Lighting the Way (A short history of lighthouses on Lake Memphremagog by Louise Abbott.) Do you have any stories or pictures of lighthouses on the lake? Please contact us!

 A steel rod and fragments of a concrete foundation are all that remain of a lighthouse that once stood on the southwestern shore of Molson Island. But Edna (Camber) McKelvey can still picture the white wooden tower with its natty red tin roof and the brilliant beam of light that shone through the three windows of the lantern room over the lake after nightfall. 

Edna lived at Fern Hill, an estate established by the Molson family south of Georgeville, from her birth in 1927 until her departure for Montreal in 1949. “My father [Erwin Camber] worked for Ella Molson—he was the foreman,” she recalls. “There were two or three hired men to keep the place going. They were the lightkeepers.

In those days there were no outboard motors, so they would row  across from the Molson boathouse [on the mainland] to the island.”

Read more...
 

The barn is born again!

E-mail Print PDF

 

 dsc4942forweb

The barn that Neil Manson dismantled in Knowlton's Landing in 2010 and resurrected on Fisher Road in Austin had its official inauguration on Saturday, September 8. Louise Abbott has been following the progress of this project in video, and she showed eleven minutes of excerpts from her documentary in progress. She hired a colleague, Vito DeFilippo, to videotape the inauguration so that she could enjoy the event. But she still assisted Vito from time to time with the shotgun microphone. Louise took the photo above in the fall of 2010 when Neil Manson was just starting to put up the timber frame.  Niels Jensen took the photos below during the inauguration. The barn will be used as a reception hall for weddings and other special events. Hats off to Neil Manson for this remarkable feat of restoration!

 dsc4533louisedelightsinthearrivalofthejoneses

 

 dsc4518barnwithribbon

 

 

Giving Shelter at Eastern Townships Film Festival

E-mail Print PDF

Giving Shelter: Historic Barns of the Eastern Townships was among the films featured at this year's Eastern Townships Film Festival, which was held in four locations in Knowlton and Sutton. Louise Abbott and Niels Jensen, the co-producers, were on hand at the screening  at 3 p.m. on August 17, 2013, in Knowlton at the local radio station theatre on Main Street.

 
More Articles...
Page 5 of 13

YouTubes by Louise Abbott

Visitors To The Site

Content View Hits : 205837